Saturday, October 13, 2012

Why I like to Volunteer at Holy Cross Hospital


I have been volunteering at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring,Maryland, for a year now. It is the best thing I could be doing right now. It's a great place to be! Right now I'm working in pre-op. It is so great! I love being with the nurses and doctors. I learn something new every week. When I get older I want to be a nurse like the ladies I work with.

I've always felt like it was my place in life to help others who truly needed it. I think being a nurse is a calling not something you just do. Anybody can get into nursing school, but you only pass your boards if its your plan. But you can't really pass them if you are only half trying! That's not what it's all about! We are there for the people, not ourselves. Some nurses went into nursing for the good money or because their family wanted them to. That's not why anyone should go into the profession; that's a really bad reason.

I work with a lot of nurses who are called to nursing and it's great to see the joy they get from making people feel better. That's another reason I know I want to be a nurse. I get so much joy just making people smile when they are scared; that little smile can make everything alright. Its the best feeling just to make their stay a little better. Sometimes when they thank you for taking care of them, you want to thank them because it is as great for you as it is for them!

Oh yeah, there is one other thing I love about Holy Cross. They pray with people a lot. I love when someone asks me to pray with them; it is so amazing. I have been asked a few times, and it is really helpful to pray for their safety.

Holy Cross is a great place to be; I wouldn't ask to be anywhere else.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie,

    You are so spot on for the reason you chose nursing!You will have a wonderful career because you are in it to help people. Dedication first, then all the good blessings will naturally follow! I am so very proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie,

    I'm with you on this. The reason why you should do something like this is because you want to help others. If you feel like God is calling you to something big like this and you already want to do it I call it a plus! He has some crazy way of doing things for sure. Love ya and live because of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete